Monday, 18 November 2013

18th November 2013- They Might Be Giants, Gigs and Happiness

Hey everybody, long time no write. I feel like slowly in time I'm going to be beginning to sort of adapt back into a regular writing schedule because while things are busy they seem to be on the mend. My vertigo like symptoms are still plaguing me and I'm still waiting for blood test results to come back but for now I'm a little better than I've been in the last few months and hopefully that will continue for a long time to come. The last blood test results that I got back showed that I severely lacked in white blood cells at the moment and that was the only concerning thing that they flagged up so to me that fact means that it might be the explanation for why I seem to catch every single disease that's on the go and possibly why I've been so ill recently.

I decided to hold fire on doing anything to improve my white blood cells or immune system until I got back the results of my second blood test. To be honest I know how this sounds but I really didn't want to make myself temporarily better, like if the doctor seen a spike in white blood cells in the second test that only happened because I started improving my diet then I could be covering up a bigger problem and leaving it untreated so for now I'm staying away from vitamins or fruits until I'm sure that the white blood cell problem isn't caused by something that's far worse.

I had a really busy yet enjoyable weekend over the last few days. With work being so busy (I'm essentially running the store some days) I haven't had many nights out recently but somehow this weekend I had three nights out! I went out on Friday to an old school friend's flat and other old school friends came and it was the first time I'd seen them all in ages. While I did smoke a few cigarettes and had a couple of glasses of warm port I didn't drink too heavily because on Saturday I had work then it was time to head out to the beer tent at the continental market in Belfast on its opening night with some other friends. We had a lot of fun even though I only tried strawberry beer since they'd ran out of so many other various flavours and even though it was a bit packed, to be honest with you next time I think it'd be better to go to the beer tent on a night where it wasn't crowded and it was more easy to move around in because the market is amazing and so much effort has been put in, I'd just like to go and be able to move freely a little more!

While my Friday and Saturday nights out were both good nights they paled in comparison to the night out I had last night where at long last I finally got to see one of my favourite bands of all time, They Might Be Giants perform in the Limelight in Belfast. Long term followers might know already that I have a strong love for They Might Be Giants because I've blogged about them in the past, mainly during my early blogging days. They're a really difficult band to describe to be honest with you because they have a distinctive sound that I don't think anybody else can play close to. They've had a career spanning over 30 years and have made 16 albums including four separate albums that made exclusively children's music and I adore how quirky and happy their music is. They Might Be Giants were a constant during my tramadol addiction and when I had bad withdrawal days I used to spend hours listening to them and they would cheer me up a little and made it easier to deal with but because aside from the 1991 single Birdhouse In Your Soul they never achieved widespread international fame, I never thought I'd get to see them live so when they announced their first ever European tour I jumped at the chance to go and see them perform.

They Might Be Giants didn't disappoint when it came to the performance either. From the minute that they came onto stage the place started rocking and I literally had a big grin stuck to my face for the entire gig as I seriously started to rock out and just had an absolute blast. The two Johns were charming, witty and hilarious from the get go, you could tell that they were having as much fun with their performances as we all were watching them and the show honestly had everything, from the crowd being split into two groups, one group chanting "people" when one half of the band played music and the other half chanting "apes" when the other half played music, to a really slowed down and special performance of Istanbul, to the two Johns retreating behind the drum kit and pretending to be a pair of sock puppets, I don't know if my friend had ever been to such a weird gig before and I definitely hadn't. They played pretty much all the songs that I wanted to hear and even did two encores after the crowd just didn't want them to leave and I left smiling.

To leave smiling was such an incredible feeling. So much has made me unhappy recently, I've been having a really difficult time of things so to be able to just enjoy this gig for over two hours and be genuinely happy for once was a huge deal to me, I didn't want it to end. Lots of people like films, television shows and music because they are good escapes from reality and sometimes I don't get that but last night I really did and it made me just realise how beautiful life can be when you can be having such a hard time and still have moments that fill you with such joy. But yeah I'd better go here guys, I just had to come on here and tell you how much of a blast that I had last night because it really was fun, hopefully I'll be back to write again sooner rather than later!

Matthew

29 comments:

  1. It's good to see you back Matt and enjoying life to a degree. The gig sounds like it was great. You've had a pretty awesome weekend from the sounds of it. Keep your hands on something to make you happy and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how jealous I am. I've always been a huge TMBG fan since I was a kid and have always wanted to see them live. I was just listening to Flood last night while drawing up toons for the blog. Always helps put me in a goofy mood.

    Also, good luck with your tests. I hope they find what's causing everything and get you feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back blogging! The concert sounds like it really perked you up. Hope your blood tests are able to give you some answers.
    Happy Monday Matthew xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have you back :) I just hope all the blood tests help you out, so they can do something to sort this out. The concert sounds fab, I do love going to them, it's always a lift!! Keep going with happiness and have a great week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad to see you had such a good weekend, Matthew, and it's lovely to see you back here! Good luck with your blood test results :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vertigo can be really annoying and get in the way of so many things. It is nice to see you back on your computer. I am sure you will get back into the swing of things before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully everything gets worked out and about, then once more you can be back to pout and shout lol welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certain medications can cause low white count. If you've been on anything, you might Google it and see, although the doctor SHOULD already be aware of it, they aren't always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such an amazing feeling, and I'm really glad you got to experience it. It's one of those things that can't be explained near as well as it can be felt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey handsome just popping over to say Hi had a few minutes and wanted to check in with you and see how you were

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to hear you had such a grand time. Unfortunately, my days of going out three nights in a row are long past. I can do ONE. But, only if I can sleep in the next day.
    Strawberry beer, though....
    Hmmmm......beer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting on blood tests stinks. I'm waiting on results of one now. It's going to take at least two weeks. Then another five before I go back to my doctor. Pfft. I hope everything gets figured out soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Matt...so good to hear from you and with a good and happy post. Concerts do have a way of making you feel great don't they? It's been awhile now for me (6 years). Glad work is going well. Busy is always good. Makes the time go by quickly. Keep us updated on your blood test results. So many variables can cause levels to go up or down. Wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're slowly making your way back, Matthew. We've all missed you.
    Keep a smile.
    Love and good thoughts to you,
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Nice to see a post from you. I hope you start feeling well soon. Being sick is the worst feeling.

    Strawberry beer sounds delicious. I'm not a fan of beer but that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Matt! I'm so glad to see a post from you. :) I'm glad to hear that you're getting better and taking the time to really be happy. It's definitely going to be a tough road to walk through but I know you'll get there; just remember that there are lots of people who cares about you and your well-being.

    Sorry to hear about your health, I know it's been up and down for quite a while now and I hope things will get better for you. And hopefully it's something that can be treated easily so your health will get back to normal.

    Stay strong and take care always! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you are having tests to work out what is wrong and hopefully all it will need is a change of diet perhaps to get your white cells up and you feeling better.
    I am so happy you had a good night out. Hold onto those happy feelings when things get you down.
    Sending hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Long time no post indeed! As sick as you are, I find it odd that an improvement in diet worsens your health though, keep us updated.

    And I thought They Might be Giants disbanded years ago. Learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I hope you keep up your smile for a while, the holidays are coming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely


    http://www.facebook.com/AmandaChicFashionRoomLounge?ref=hl
    twitter & instagram : @fashionrlounge
    Fashion room lounge

    A chic kiss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My younger sister has had similar white blood cell issues. Every test, her white blood count is either way too low or alarmingly high. She catches every single illness that's going around, and she is now allergic to EVERYTHING. None of her doctors can figure out if it's a bigger problem than just a weird immune system, but they don't seem overly concerned. And Lil Sis is the least concerned of all... :/ I hope everything is going ok with your health. <3

    That's awesome you got to see them in concert. And strawberry beer?? How did it taste? It sounds vile, but then so does coffee porter and I had that at the local brewery and it was actually very nice...

    Hope all is well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. life is meant to be lived dude! i know, responsabilites have their place to, but enjoy the most of your life, surround it with friends and persons that care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope the problem with your blood is resolved quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy to see you back again Mat ~ Hope you are taking care of yourself and enjoying the holiday season ~ Keep on having that positive attitude ~ Have a good weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sorry you've been feeling cruddy. Your comment made me all warm and fuzzy, especially since I've been struggling through a pretty bad place recently.... You are wonderful and don't ever let anyone try to convince you otherwise. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you feel better soon!

    Long time no write? a month? Ha I got you beat! A year and a month! and I like the new title for your blog, though I also like the old one. And I'm glad to hear you got to hear a band you really like!

    And in your life I hope Everything Right WONT Be Wrong Again!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYdwKNzULqk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Matty,
    i want you to know i think of you so often and hope you are doing better. Oh, it hurt's my
    heart that one as young as you has so much pain and i am so very sorry. Then i think back to 18, when all my "mental crap" started and i think of fthe hell it was and still is.

    i am such a downer...i am sorry.


    Happy Christmas!

    xoxo, traxy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Matt...i am so sorry for my last post...i jusy want yoou to be well and happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Matthew - Hope you are feeling much better by now. :)
    So glad you had fun seeing They Might be Giants! So cool!

    ReplyDelete